Monday, August 27, 2012

OPI Germany: Neutrals Can Be Fun Too!

If you're like me, you might associate nudes and neutrals with the words "plain" and "boring."  Even when I like a neutral polish, I can't bear to wear it for more two days before I'm itching to wear something more exciting.  Playing off the skittles trend, here's a way to spice up your neutral manis. :)


The great thing about neutrals is that there's really no limit to the combination of colors you can use.  It will generally look very put together, even if you use all different colors.  For the look above, I used the three neutrals from OPI's Germany collection.


If you like nail art, you can also spice it up with simple designs and patterns.  I used white and half pearls for a sweet, yet neutral look.





The Colors

 
  L to R: Don't Pretzel My Buttons, My Very First Knockwurst, Berlin There Done That, DPMB

Don't Pretzel My Buttons, 3 coats: "honey-beige" creme is probably right on.  It reminds me of foundation, and is generally flattering on my warm skin tone.  It needed three coats for opacity, but otherwise there were no problems with the formula.

My Very First Knockwurst, 3 coats: a pale, cool-toned pink creme.  It has a touch of nude and grey in it.  Formula-wise, it was similar to DPMB.  If you have warm undertones, I would avoid this color unless you really really like this color.  I want to say it's unflattering on me, but sometimes it looks okay.  This color should be much more flattering on those with pink undertones.

Berlin There Done That, 2 coats: a pretty average taupe creme.  The formula was good and covered well in two coats.

***

Verdict: A pretty average set of neutrals.  They're pretty basic colors and the formulas were average as well.  I think most of these colors would be more flattering on cool skin tones.

Availability: These shades are currently available at Professional Salons, including Beauty Brands, Beauty First, Chatters, Dillard's, JCPenney, Pure Beauty, Regis, Trade Secret, and ULTA for $8.50 USD.


Are you a fan of neutral nail polish?  And would you wear these looks?  Let me know in the comments! :)


Liz 
*The polishes reviewed in this post were sent to me for my honest review.

14 comments:

  1. I didn't think that I wanted anything from this collections, but I think I might need to pick these three up. That nail art is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this! Thank you so much for inspiring me to try more options with my plethora of neutrals. I love neutrals and I'm always looking for new ways to wear them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love neutral polishes and this design looks absolutely gorgeous. I like the idea, to spice up the mani this way, like you write in your post!
    I made for my blog a Facebook page, if you like you can look up for it. Thanks! https://www.facebook.com/andicolouryourlife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mani looks great. I too think they are kind of boring, but the truth is you can't go wrong with a neutral, and for a job interview or a fancy ocasion they are always on top of my choice list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peace, Love & PolishAugust 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

    I absolutely love this! Neutrals are so beautiful - I feel sometimes they are the underdog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THE DESIGN ON YOUR RING FINGER!!! omg its awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, no problem! Thank you for finding this inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ruxi! And they're definitely the best for formal occasions. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I know some people only wear neutrals, and it used to confuse me. I'm definitely starting to appreciate them a little more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I believe it's called a "string mani" if you would like to look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love nudes, so I'm in awe with this skittled mani. I love the designs you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)