Monday, June 27, 2011

Theme Monday: (Floral) Overboard & Tutorial

Hey all~

Today's post is for Facebook group Polish-aholics Anonymous!  Every Monday there is a new theme and today's is floral.  Makes me look forward to Mondays. :)


This didn't exactly turn out how I planned.  Originally I was going to do the design on my index and middle on all my nails, but then I realized my pinky was too small.  So I decided to make it my accent nail, even though it was a little awkward.  Finally, after working on this mani for hours (for all the drying time between different layers), I finished the other three nails with the same design.  Unfortunately, I accidentally smooshed a flower on the ring nail and it was beyond repair.  It was kind of upsetting, but I sucked it up and just did this random dot thing.  So in the end it kind of looks busy and random, but oh well. :P  I'm also not sure about the color combination.  It kind of reminds me of really girly bed sheets.  My sister said tablecloth. -_-

Here's a quick tutorial for those of you who'd like to do this.  For mine, I painted everything by layers using tape, but here's a much much easier way.


Step 1:  Pick a base color and add stripes to it using a nail art polish or thin brush.

Step 2:  Tape off the middle section diagonally, then paint the ends near the tips and cuticle.

Step 3:  Add the silver border by using a striping tape.  I didn't have any, so I had to do the tape mani several times.  Never doing that again!  It took forever.

Step 4:  Pick out your flower color and add a couple drops of it to a piece of paper or foil.  Add a couple drops of white next to it.  Using a dotting tool or the end of a bobby pin/toothpick, dip it into the colors (you can swirl it around a little) and make 5 dots in a circle to form the flower petals.  Repeat to cover the striped portion.

Step 5:  Use the other end of the bobby pin/toothpick to add the leaves.  Pick a green and add 1-2 dots around your flowers.

Step 6:  Seal with top coat and enjoy! :)

I learned how to make the flowers from Jelly's Nails, so if you're unsure of how to do the flowers still, you can check out her post.  She did a video tutorial, so that might make more sense.



Now I'm now going to picture spam you because I worked so hard on it. :)







That's it!  Happy Monday. :)


Liz

25 comments:

  1. This is great!!! Where did you learn to do all this nail art technique? :) Where do you get inspiration from? :) I just love it!!!
    Me, I'm still at level zero where I'm trying to tame my knoad stamping tools :D
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous design! I'm for real. Please follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful! They remind me of vintage wall paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one look and i though of bedsheets too. :) but i still find it cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iap Nail art is hard work, but the results are so pretty, and yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. soo cute!!! love this mani and colours =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful and I thought you used water decals! You're super good!! I LOVE the colour combination and the design soooo much:D Thank you for sharing~!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this :) The flowers on the "fence" are so so cute. Great color combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone! :)

    @Cristina: Thank you! :) When I see images/patterns or nail art/techniques I like, I save them in a folder on my computer. Sometimes I improvise and other times I do sketches on my nails.^^ Other bloggers also provide inspiration and help me improve my art. :)

    @Naomi's Nails: Thanks! I'm already following you back. :)

    @Minnie: Aw thank you! ^^ Although I think your stuff if way more impressive! I'm always excited to read your posts. :)

    @Minty: Thanks! I love how you started these theme Mondays. They're so fun and I love seeing everyone's art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks just like the design I did! cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jessie:): Thanks! I learned how to do the flowers from your video tutorial, and linked you in the post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful and amazing!! It looks kinda hard for me to attempt though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing technique~ I have to buy dotters just so I can do this! LOL. gorgeous. I love this mani, I thought it was with a decal of some sort at first!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very beautiful I loved You have good taste! Yeah

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so beautiful!!! so sweet and lovely =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty :)

    You received the Best Blog Award: http://dutch-diana.blogspot.com/2011/06/awards-awards-and-more-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so gorgeous Liz! You have a talent for nail art! Love the flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, I am completely enamored by these nails. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah thanks everyone! I'm so glad you all liked this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish this post had a 'like' button - because I'd hit that thing a hundred times!! x_x Absolutely jaw-dropping!! What an absolutely beautiful... no, STUNNING piece of work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)