Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nicole by OPI Modern Family (Part 2)


Today's post contains all the reds and pinks from Nicole by OPI's Modern Family collection!  If you missed Part 1, you can check it out (here).


Basking In Gloria, 2 coats: blue-toned cranberry red jelly with purple shimmer.  My picture looks more berry, but the base is red and the shimmer is purple (see bottle).  I think the two combined gives it more of a berry look though.  BIG is really pigmented and just amazing.  I've been searching for a red like this, so I fell head over heels for it.  It was also a dream to apply.


A Like-Haley Story..., 2 coats: super pigmented bright pink creme with pink shimmer.  This pink is one of those very bright ones that verge on being red.  It's also the pink I'm wearing in my recent nail art look (Rogue Hello Kitty).  I think it's more accurate in that post as well.  Formula-wise there was nothing to complain about.


She's Lily Something, 2 coats over What's The Mitch-Uation?: clear base with pink-gold-purple shimmer flecks and pink holo stars.  This one strikes me as a star version of Nothin' Mousie 'bout It (OPI Vintage Minnie) because of the multicolored shimmer flecks.  I found the formula a little thin for a glitter, so you do have to fish for the stars.


Haley Good Lookin'..., 1 coat over Alex By The Books: fine light pink glitter with medium pink holo glitters in a clear base.  This can actually be a pretty opaque glitter - not on its own but with a metallic base you can make it seem like it's opaque on its own.  I wore this over a plum creme the other day and found that 2-3 coats make it look fairly opaque.  Otherwise, you can wear one coat like I did here for a sprinkling of glitter.

I'm noticing that a lot of the polishes in this collection have ellipsis in their names.  What's up with that?  It's kind of annoying, like whoever came up with the names couldn't commit to them. -_-  Dear polish namer (if you're reading this), you own those names!  I know we make fun of them for being cheesy or kind of stupid sometimes, but we secretly like them.  PS. Adding a (!) at the end doesn't count.


I Do De-Claire!, 2 coats: frosty medium pink.  Kind of a rosy pink, more than the blue pink my picture is showing.  Great formula and coverage, but a tad brushstrokey as frosts can be.  Personally, I've never been a fan of pink frosts, and this one wasn't any different.  But if you're into colors like this, I think you'll be pleased.

Verdict:  I didn't feel the glitters were all too unique and the frost just wasn't my thing.  I did like ALHS and BIG - especially BIG.  The formulas on all of these were superb, so if you like the color, get it! :)

Availability: Modern Family lacquers are now available for $7.99 each at retailers including select Walmart, Target, CVS, Rite Aid, Kmart, Kroger, ULTA, H-E-B, Meijer and Duane Reade locations. In Canada, this line will be available for $10.99 each at Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart Canada, Jean Coutu, Loblaw, and London Drug.


Have you seen any of these around?

Liz
Polishes in this post were provided to me for my honest opinion.
Please view my disclosure policy for more info.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)